Friday, November 21, 2008

This is the same place that I took Tyson's picture when he was baptized.
Tyson was supposed to leave Tuesday November 25th from the St. George Airport and fly directly to the Sau Paulo MTC in Brazil. I got a call Monday November 17th from the Bishop about 6:30 pm while I was grocery shopping. He ask me if I was sitting down and I ask if I should be and he said yes. I tried to find someplace to sitdown when he said that the stake president called and had an e-mail from the missionary office asking if Tyson could report to the Provo MTC on Wednesday. I was quiet for a moment and then I ask if he meant this Wednesday as in the day after tomorrow and the Bishop said yes!

I told him that Tyson wasn't home, that he was in California and wouldn't be home until late that evening. I ask him what about his farewell? and the Bishop said He won't have one. Then I proceeded to tell the bishop that he hadn't gone through the temple yet. He said talk to Dave and Tyson and let him know if Tyson could make it there by Wednesday at noon.

I called Dave and told him and he said we needed to get ahold of Tyson. He called me earlier that day and told me that they had tickets to the Jay Leno show and wouldn't be available until after the show. They would be leaving for home after that. We couldn't get ahold of him until 9:30pm. Dave talked to him and told him that he was needed there by Wednesday and all Tyson said was o.k.

We called the Bishop and said that we would do our best to have him there and ask why they wanted him there early. All he knew was that they ask all the missionaries leaving the same time in Tyson's group to get there as soon as possible and that none of their visa's had arrived yet and they wanted them all to fly out together when their visa's got there. So we don't know when they will go to Brazil.

Tyson got home at 2:30am and I ask him how he felt and he said he was ok with the whole thing. He said that he would'nt miss talking in church but would miss seeing some of his friends and family before he leaves.

Dave called the Temple at 6:00 am the next morning to see how early we could get him in and they told us to be there at 9:00 and they would fit us in. We weren't able to invite anyone to come, but we had an awesome experience with Tyson. I was worried that Tyson would fall asleep during the session because we got him up at seven to cut his hair. I didn't do too bad if I say so myself even though I have never had a lesson on cutting hair.

We ran all day long trying to finish what shopping we still had to do. We had to get Tyson's glasses and a lot of last minute things. We weren't able to get them all done so we decided to stay in Salt Lake and finish up with the rest after we dropped Tyson off at the MTC.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

HOLY COW! I had heard that he got sent early, I don't know what I would do I'd one of my kids was in that sme position. There must be a reason behind it all, and I am glad that he was so willing to go with what was needed from him. Is he servng in the same mission as Brian Wilson?

It's just too much to take in alll the changes your family went through last week , I think I'll take it as a lesson in being prepared, as I tend to procrastinate everything until that last moment :)

God Luck to you and your family as you have a missionary in the field! He will be in our prayers!

Kenz said...

Wow that was so fast! Only Tyson would be ok with going in so soon on such short notice! What a great guy! It made me think back to youth conference when Tyson was in our family, he was so eagar to help and do whatever last minute. We'll miss seeing him around, but love that he's out serving a mission, and being an example to so many. We love you guys, and wish you all the best!
The Hansen's